Video Help with Accessing Website and Blogs
After Parent Consultations and speaking to some parents I am aware that there are still some parents and children struggling to access the school website or class blogs. I wanted to help and therefore I have made a loom step by step video showing you how to access them. It shows a split screen and step by step instructions so you can see exactly what you need to do at home to get to them, including how to log on to the blog, find the website etc. It is mainly aimed at parents of Year One but is useful for all year groups. Paul has also texted the parents of all year groups with the link also so you should hopefully have it on your phones too. Please find the link below which will take you straight to the video. If you have any questions please just email me and ask.
Year One Spellings
Each week the children are tested on their Band Word Spellings and their Friday Spellings. These are two different sets of spellings and it is evident that some children are not practising them at home. There are two sets of spellings to learn each week- the Band words which we test every day and the Friday Spellings which are tested weekly. It is really important that the children practise the spellings, especially the Band Words- we still have a lot of children on Band 1 and it would be great if some of them could move up! We are also finding that a lot of children are getting their b's and d's the wrong way round so please practise and support them with this at home. Below I have given a list of the Friday Spellings for this half term and the Band Words 1-10. Your child should know what band they are in.
Thank you for you co-operation.
Completing Homework at Home- Using The Blog
On Friday I gave each child a plastic wallet with all of the children’s logins that they will need for the upcoming year. One of the logins was a BGFL QR code which allows the children to go onto the BGFL launchpad and blog about their homework. With the BGFL website I encourage you to go onto j2blog and use it to upload photos of any homework you do off the home learning grid. You can find a copy of this on the Year One class page on the website or in your child’s homework book. On this page below I have attached a set of instructions with how to go online and blog which you can use to help you and your child. This online resource is essential for the children’s learning and we encourage you to use them regularly as they are great resources for helping your child. You can upload photos of the children completing their homework, attachments of their work or they can even write about it themselves! The link to get to the BGFL blog is below.
Try and look after your BGFL login but if you lose it just come and let me know as I have then all saved and can easily print off new ones .Any questions or queries just come and find myself (Miss Murphy) or email the office.
Autumn Term Homework 2020
Our homework has taken on a new format and instead of giving out weekly homework sheets, one sheet is given out for the whole term. The homework challenge sheet has been stuck in your child's homework book and sent home. Included in this are:
- Daily tasks that need to be completed that should be done each day. This includes reading, practising spellings and completing a daily maths challenge to remember some of the maths fact fluency.
- Super tasks which provide an opportunity for enrichment at home.
- Home Learning Tasks which relate to the different subjects we study in our lessons.
- Extension tasks for those children who want to challenge themselves further.
Please complete a piece of homework every week from the Enrichment or Home Learning Tasks. There are also daily tasks for you to complete every day such as spellings and reading your reading book.The homework book is for the children to complete their work in and, once they have completed one of the home learning or extension tasks, they should evidence it in their homework book to show they have done it. Due to current circumstances please leave your homework book at home and continue to complete your homework in there. I will ask for them all in at the end of the half term and will mark them then- I look forward to seeing all your amazing homework and enjoy!
Daily Homework in Year One
As well as completing weekly homework challenges we ask that each child completes some daily homework so that they can consolidate and practice the skills they learn daily in school. This includes:
- reading every night with you at home, even if this is just a few pages at a time,. Please ensure that you sign your child's reading record so we can see they have read.
- practising their spellings ready for their spelling test every Friday. A copy of their spellings for the week can be found on the 'Spelling' link on the Year 1 class page.
- completing their online work and skills using either Numbots/ Rockstars, Active Learn or practising their Big Maths Tests. All these websites allow the children to practise their Maths and Sums or their Phonics reading skills by giving them free online books. The links for these sites can be found on the 'Online Resources' link on the Year 1 class page.