In Nursery we focus on phase 1 and 2 phonics. As a class we have just started learning the sounds s, a, t, p and i
Ideas to support phonics teaching.
- Collect items with the same initial sound. E.g. toy, tin, toilet roll.
- Write the sounds on plastic bottle tops and see how many words you can create.
- Write sounds or words in a tray of sand, flour, rice or shaving foam with your finger.
- Create picture cards to match to initial sounds or simple words.
- Don’t forget to practise your letter formation. You could also practise writing simple words using the sounds we have learnt.
- Use the bitesize phonics videos to revist the sounds.
- Write sounds and words in chalk and jump to the correct sound or squirt it with a water pistol.
- On a dry day, "paint" sounds using water and a paintbrush on walls outside or on pavements
- Search for the sound you have been learning around the house, on signs and in stories you read.
- Use flashcards to practise sounds.
- Play snap using flashcards
- Match sounds and pictures.
Oxford Owl has a a free e-book (online book) library available for different age groups. https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/
Alphablocks is a great CBeebies website which has a number of videos, games and songs to help with reading (phonics). https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/shows/alphablocks
Phonics Bloom is a great website with a number of interactive games to help with phonics at home. https://www.topmarks.co.uk/english-games/3-5-years/letters-and-sounds
Phonics Play is another fantastic website with a number of interactive games to help with phonics at home. https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/Phase1Menu.htm#
Topmarks phonics has a variety of phonics games.https://www.topmarks.co.uk/english-games/3-5-years/letters-and-sounds