Preparing for school
Top tips before starting school…
1. Get them excited for school
2. Teach them to LOVE books
3. Make the first day a happy one - Be positive. Be prepared. Be prompt.
At home you could practise…
1. Going to the toilet independently.
2. Using a knife and fork.
3. Opening things in a lunchbox.
4. Recognising your own name.
5. Taking turns.
6. Putting a coat on - changing independently.
7. Holding a pencil correctly.
8. Using scissors.
You could also practise these activities to improve your child’s co-ordination…
1. Holding a pencil correctly.
2. Colouring in accurately.
3. Using scissors.
4. Using glue and paint carefully.
5. Hopping and skipping.
6. Balancing, running and jumping.
7. Kicking a ball. Catching and throwing a ball.
8. Tying shoe laces.
9. Peeling fruit.
10. Drawing straight and curvy lines.
11. Playing board and matching games.
12. Completing jigsaws.
13. Counting objects and recognising numbers.
14. Playing ‘I Spy’.
15. Playing ‘spot the difference, snap and dot to dot games.
This website is a great place for advice on starting school https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/collections/starting-primary-school/1