Phonics reading book
This is the main reading book that your child will be given. It is linked to the phonic sounds your child is learning in school. These need to be in school every day to be changed. Please comment on ‘Boom Reader’ (online reading diary) when you read together. If ‘Boom Reader has not been signed, then a new book cannot be given.
You will receive a letter in the Autumn term about reading books and Boom Reader.
Here are some of the things that you could ask your child when reading with them:
- What do you think the story is about?
- Why do you think that has happened?
- Why do you think that they did that?
- What do you think will happen next?
- What can you tell me about this character?
- What was your favourite part of the story? Why?
- Can you tell me what this sound is? e.g. pointing to 'c' in cat...
- Can we blend the sounds together to make a word? 'c-a-t ---> cat!
Reading for pleasure book
Children will also be receiving a ‘reading for pleasure book’. This is a book that may be too complicated for your child to read at this stage, but that you can enjoy reading together at home, e.g. The Gruffalo.
You will receive a letter in the Autumn term about this.